I fully accept that January 1 is no more logical a date to kick yourself into new habits than any other. Personally, I'm totally in favor of any prompt, no matter how arbitrary, for considering self-improvement. And every year, I resolve to drink less diet soda. Maybe not give it up altogether. Just save myself a few bucks and a lot of unnecessary tooth-staining.
But in the absence of diet soda, I'm often left grasping for something tasty and refreshing to drink when water's just not what I'm craving. So I'm looking for alternatives.
Things I've tried so far:
- Fresh lemon juice in sparkling water (simple, but works in a pinch)
- Crushed mint leaves and a little grapefruit juice in sparkling water
- Strong iced black tea with lemon and a little sparkling water (what can I say, I like the bubbles)
- Iced green tea with lemon
- Various herbal fruit teas, iced with lemon (I realize Lemon Zinger isn't exactly sophisticated, but brew it strong and it tastes just fine over ice)
But I'd love to branch out in my non-soda drinking habits. What do you drink as an alternative to soda?
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.