A sommelier's job includes trying to find the best wines to match with your meal, evaluating how a wine will complement the flavors of each ingredient, the preparation, the sauce... But what about the combos that just don't work? We asked a group of sommeliers from around the country about the worst food and wine pairings—from oysters and tannic Cabernet to dry Champagne and wedding cake—and why they're so terrible together. Which combinations just make them cringe? Check out the slideshow for a few wine-and-food matches that you should definitely avoid.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- McDonald's Killed Burger King's McWhopper, so We Made it Ourselves
- The Delicious Secret Behind Your Favorite Whiskey: The Best Spirits from MGP
- A Summer Vegetable Lasagna That's Light (but Not Too Light)
- The Best Peach Cobbler Is Also a Simple Peach Cobbler
- Why Jianbing is China's Most Popular Street Breakfast