A sommelier's job includes trying to find the best wines to match with your meal, evaluating how a wine will complement the flavors of each ingredient, the preparation, the sauce... But what about the combos that just don't work? We asked a group of sommeliers from around the country about the worst food and wine pairings—from oysters and tannic Cabernet to dry Champagne and wedding cake—and why they're so terrible together. Which combinations just make them cringe? Check out the slideshow for a few wine-and-food matches that you should definitely avoid.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Dinner in 20: For the Best Fried Chicken Cutlets, Use Clarified Butter
- Seekh Kebabs: The Grilled, Spiced Pakistani Meat-on-a-Stick of Your Dreams
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- How to Stock a Turkish Pantry: Flavorful Ingredients Worth Seeking Out
- Special Sauce: Dinosaur BBQ's John Stage on His Unlikely Path to Pitmaster