A sommelier's job includes trying to find the best wines to match with your meal, evaluating how a wine will complement the flavors of each ingredient, the preparation, the sauce... But what about the combos that just don't work? We asked a group of sommeliers from around the country about the worst food and wine pairings—from oysters and tannic Cabernet to dry Champagne and wedding cake—and why they're so terrible together. Which combinations just make them cringe? Check out the slideshow for a few wine-and-food matches that you should definitely avoid.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Special-Occasion Breakfast: Challah French Toast With Orange and Rum
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Special Sauce: Pete Wells on Writing, Ketchup, and 2-Star Restaurants
- Cookbook Love Letter: Anne Willan's La Varenne Pratique