A sommelier's job includes trying to find the best wines to match with your meal, evaluating how a wine will complement the flavors of each ingredient, the preparation, the sauce... But what about the combos that just don't work? We asked a group of sommeliers from around the country about the worst food and wine pairings—from oysters and tannic Cabernet to dry Champagne and wedding cake—and why they're so terrible together. Which combinations just make them cringe? Check out the slideshow for a few wine-and-food matches that you should definitely avoid.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: Sorry, Pulled Pork, It's Cochinita Pibil's Moment
- How to Make Rich, Flavorful Caramel Without Melting Sugar
- Serious Eats Recommends: 6 Food-Focused Books, Podcasts, and TV Shows We Love Right Now
- The Story of Carolina Gold, the Best Rice You've Never Tasted
- Beyond Memorial Day Burgers: 13 Recipes for Grilled Steak and More