We Try All the Spindrift Soda Flavors
Even if you grew up in a strictly soda-free zone, these are sodas your mama might have actually allowed in the house. Spindrift calls itself the "anti-soda" since it's really more of a carbonated juice, along the lines of Fizzy Lizzy and Izze. Spindrift uses fresh-squeezed fruit—pulp and all, so don't be alarmed if yours comes with floaty bits—mixed with triple-filtered carbonated water and cane sugar.
"Hey, I buy Spendrift when I'm on the Vineyard," said Ed as he walked up to us, trying all six flavors. You can find them at select stores nationwide including Cape Cod, Nantucket, New York, Chicago, Boston, Charleston, Portland, Newport, and Burlington.
Each one has between 60 and 70 calories per eight-ounce serving, and they are 12-ounce bottles, so you're hovering around 100 calories (since, let's be real, you're going to drink the whole bottle). Some tasting notes for each flavor (from left to right in photo):
- Cranberry Raspberry: Like warm berries baked into a pie. The jammy raspberries never push too far into sweet territory though thanks to the bitter cranberries and lemon juice.
- Blackberry: Floaty berry bits! It's made with eight whole crushed blackberries—the bottles tell you the exact units of fruit used in each—and the berry matter rises to the top (this is normal). You can really taste the brambly seeds, as if you poked your face in a bush of blackberries.
- Half and Half: This one we didn't love. Black tea with lemongrass, kind of reminiscent of Chinese restaurant tea served in little cups, but carbonated and mixed with lemon. No offense to carbonation, but we prefer our Arnold Palmers in flat form.
- Orange-Mango: Made with orange juice and 1/4 of a crushed Alphonso mango. Puts you in a tropical state of mind. We felt like we should be applying sunscreen while drinking it (and where's the rum?)
- Pink Grapefruit: The way you want Fresca to taste. Mildly bitter with a grapefruit pith pucker and a lemony finish. Not as pinky-sweet as it initially smells. Definitely one of our favorites.
- Lemonade: The tangiest in the line-up. Made with the juice from 3/4 of a lemon and 1/3 of a lime, and it's impressive how much that lime comes forward. If you don't like your lemonade very sweet, you'll appreciate all the citrus packed in here.